Wednesday, June 21, 2006

An end of an era

On the day they announced Jim'll Fix It will be coming back, well sort of, with Vic Reeves presenting it.

The BBC will be axing the long running Top of The Pops next month.

I would like to say I was a devotee of the programme, one who had stayed loyal until the end, but I would have to count the number of times I have watched it in the last year on one finger. The occasion that I did watch it, I felt myself turning into my dad with each group’s appearance. 'What's this crap' would be my usual utterance.

In these days of MP3s, Ipods, downloads and CDs it is hard to believe I spent many a programme with my tape recorder - remember them - pressed against the portable television - probably a black and white one at that and taping the latest tunes of the day. I wish I still had these tapes, but these have long been binned. Sadly it’s only the memories that remain of these shows. I seem to remember getting into the Bunnymen by taping The Cutter after an appearance.

Classic moments such as the barbed Peel comments about bands he obviously didn't rate, Nirvana purposely fucking-up Smells Like Teen Spirit and Dexy's playing Jackie Wilson Says - with the Dart player Jocky Wilson's picture being used as a backdrop.

Smash Hits has gone, so too now has Top of The Pops in 2006. Another piece of my childhood disappears. Ah well!!

No comments: