Saturday, November 18, 2006

Charidee

Tonight is Children in Need night; while I agree with everything that the charity is trying to do I don’t think I will be sitting down to watch a number of non-celebrities getting up to wacky things all in the name of charity.

Most of these self-serving celebrities - coincidentally will probably have biographies out, reality shows to win, and greatest hits in shops before Christmas.

While I’m still being slightly cynical I received a phone call from Oxfam today trying to get me to sign up to give them a regular contribution. I had previously signed a petition with regards to the ‘Make Poverty History’ and ‘I’m In’ campaigns - so I was obviously ripe for the picking.

Obviously a calculated call on their part, knowing that their finances would be hit today, with the focus on Children in Need. A pleasant enough operative spoke me to, but I could hear the buzz in the background, the hum of other operatives trying divert funds Oxfam’s way. It wasn’t the hard sell – but it was slightly crass all the same.

I occasionally give to charity and if my finances were better than they currently are, I would be more than willing to do so on a more regular basis. What I would rather do is, do it on my own volition and not be brow beaten to it on the doorstep or over the phone.

No comments: