Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Time flies

Today is a notable day for me, as it is the tenth anniversary of me leaving the job that I had worked at virtually since I'd left school. It was only supposed to be a stop-gap, before I moved on to the next job - six years later I was still there.

This great leap into the unknown felt like the first day of the rest of life. After much soul searching, I finally decided to plot an alternative career path - doing something that I really wanted to do

I had worked for Customs and Excise for nearly six years at the time of departure – one of those years was spent with metaphorical cigar-in-mouth - given the fact that I had put in my application for voluntary redundancy in the January of 1996 – 27th March 1997 was the last day that I could leave under this arrangement.

I had two options I could have followed. Having dabbled a bit in freelance journalism – it was my intention to go to University to study and then get a job in the profession.

Option two, was to follow my passion in music and study at LIPA in studio technology. I choose option one and with hindsight it is certainly the one that I'm hapy with.

The summer after my departure was probably one of the best, as I lived off my redundancy package - living a bohemian lifestyle as it were - well as much a bohemian lifestyle can be, living at your parents.

I undertook a short lived acting course, as well as a number of the more fruitful songwriting courses, that culminated in my first 'solo' live performance at The Picket in Liverpool. Basically I dossed about before going to Liverpool John Moores University in September to study Politics with Sociology.

On reflection, I can't believe how much I have crammed into the last ten years - I have lived in a foreign country (Finland) completed my Degree, MA, a teaching qualification and other varying qualifications, I have worked in the profession that I wanted to when I was at school (but I had dismissed the chances as being not for me). I have worked as a journalist and weirdly I'm now teaching the subject. My private life has been a little hectic too - falling in and out of love on numerous occasions - many times the unrequited type too. I have even moved away from Liverpool after a short stay in Stoke I'm now living in St Helens.

Here's to the next ten years, having crammed so much in the last ten, I would settle for something a little less hectic.

No comments: