Sunday, March 28, 2010

A Quiet Pint in the Everyman


After my recent road to Damascus like conversion to real ale, in the middle of a week off from work, I picked up my copy of Around the Pubs in 80 days. I suppose if I was to start a drinking odyssey around Liverpool it would be difficult to know where to begin such a journey

For me, I suppose that journey would begin in the Everyman Bistro. If I were a permanent inhabitant of Liverpool city centre this would be my local. It is not typically a real-ale pub but on some levels adheres to the ethos of what a real-ale pub should be. I should hate this place on account of the low beams of the ceiling; this is on account of it being in the depths of the Everyman Theatre. I can’t help but feel a little self-conscious when the place is full.

Thankfully I have popped in on a quiet Thursday afternoon, it is just me, and a couple of members of staff. I have my usual a quick bottle of Cain's lager before I’m due to meet my friend later on. With French music station on in the background and a beer in my hand it is quite relaxing. It's quite good to have a pub to yourself to contemplate the world. The music is good too and has that French lounge-core feel. On second thoughts it sounds Spanish.

Sadly they are going to renovate this place soon - hopefully the new building will retain some of this place’s character. Though hopefully with a better ceiling space for the non-vertically challenged, like myself.

No comments: