Thursday, October 12, 2006

Keeping it Peel

I thought I would break my blog-block today given the fact that it is Peel Day.

It is hard to believe that it is two years since Peely died.

It is probably a JFK moment for me. I’ll always remember where I was when I heard he’d died

It was in the first semester teaching Multimedia Journalism at the same establishment I’m at now. I remember having the BBC website up on the overhead board talking about web design.

The main headline was about Mark Thatcher’s coup attempt. I was about to let the class go for a break just as the site updated itself with the news of Peel’s death.

Gutted was an understatement. I managed to hold myself together for the rest of the session, just about.

I took myself home to listen to the endless tributes in the hope of making sense of dreadful news and in the hope that it wasn’t true. Sadly it is true. I might be overstating this but music hasn’t been same since.

Rest in Peace Peely.

No comments: