Sunday, December 31, 2006

A bunch of fives

As is the way at this time of year there are numerous retrospectives and round-ups of everything that happened in the previous twelve months.

This year is no different and having looked through the numerous lists I have decided to have a go at compiling my own.

I must admit I have lost touch with the NME of late - I no longer purchase it religiously every Wednesday like I used to, but I still takr the time to pick up the Christmas edition to check out the end of year round up.

The fact that I own 2 albums from this years NME top 50 indicates that I’m either getting too old or I’m losing touch – as I said I seldom buy the esteemed journal these days and the quality of the Christmas Edition is evidence that I’m not missing much – but that’s for a future blog.

I fare a little better with the Uncut(the magazine of choice these days) poll. I own 3 albums from their end of year list. Again in the Observer’s arts blog I only manage to accumulate 3 of the 50 albums – note to self – must do better next year. In their poll-of-polls I have 2 out of the ten.

I have probably bought a reasonable deal of albums this year – probably not as many as in previous years. I think I have probably bought a number of older records that I have I could have included such as the Editors and Jose Gonzalez but as they weren’t released this year I have omitted them.

Here are my lists as follows:

Favourite Albums 2006

1. Kelley Stoltz – Below The Branches
2. Roddy Frame – Western Skies
3. Arctic Monkeys – Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not
4. The Raconteurs – Broken Boy Soldiers
5. Mansun – Legacy (Best of)

Favourite Singles 2006

1. Kelley Stoltz – The Sun Comes Through
2. Howling Bells – Setting Sun
3. Gnarls Barkley – Crazy
4. Snow Patrol & Martha Wainwright – Set the Fire To The Third Bar
5. Kasabian – Empire
6. Amy Winehouse – Rehab

Favourite Gigs

1. The Who - Liverpool Summer Pops (July)
2. Roddy Frame - Liverpool University (April)
3. The Zutons - Liverpool University (December)
4. The Raconteurs - Liverpool Carling Academy (March)
5. New Order (Liverpool Summer Pops (July)

No comments: